Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Endless Love

NOTE: Listen to this song while reading the following...

So I received the most startling and wonderful news in all the land today. My one true love has returned from exile. I know what you're thinking...WHAT?! Well here's the story. We met one summer day. I was apprentice under a fine woman, let's call her Cecilia. Cecilia and I, after tirelessly laboring for hours in our field, felt the need for some respite and refreshment. We came to an establishment that looked likely to be sympathetic to our plight. Perhaps they would be able to offer what we needed. Little did I know I would find the balm for my wounded heart there as well. We were offered drink and a place to put our feet up by a very dashing man. On the table were the most delectable cookies known to man. He was in need of a shave and his wavy hair was slightly tousled as though he other things to worry about than fussing over his appearance. He was wearing a black shirt just like the rogues in a regency novel. But softening his appearance was the red apron he wore and his kind blue-gray eyes. We did not talk that day but I knew a deep connection had been forged. I frequented that establishment many times over the coming years. Every day we spoke and every day there were always those amazing cookies. Overtime, I found out his name is Keith. He had a love for music and longed to study abroad. He liked children and was kind to the elderly. He took care of wounded animals and thenreleased them back to the wild. And all the while he still wore that red apron. As we grew in friendship, an unspoken love blossomed. One day I came a little earlier than was my custom. I came upon him working in the kitchen. He was effortlessly making chocolate chip cookie dough sans recipe. I stood there in silence, awed by the deft movements of his hands as he separated and rolled the dough into individual portions. I found out he was the maker of the cookies I loved so much. When he noticed I was there he was rather embarrassed to be discovered making the cookies, but he was glad I finally knew his secret. A few weeks later he received notice that he would have to leave to California, hoping to find a place where he would be able to study under his idol Chef Pierre Jaquespardeaux. I could not ask him to stay. And so he went. We lost touch but I never forgot him and the way he looked in his red apron. On whim I decided to visit my old haunt and bask in the memories it held. And then he was there wearing that same red apron. My heart nearly stopped. Was a seeing a ghost of a memory? Or was he truly back? He was back. But he had changed. Aged certainly. But it seemed the light in his eyes had dimmed slightly. I'm not sure what will come but I fear that connection we had so long ago may not again be as strong. Time can only tell. And that's the true story of how I wish things were. The real story is that he actually works at the sandwich place across the street and I had a crush on him but I have never really talked to him. He did to go to California (but I don't know why) and I really did find out today that he was back. And he really does make amazing cookies for the sandwich place. But unfortunately that's all I know of Keith the Cookie Maker.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SORRY I JUST CAN'T COMMENT...CAN'T.STOP.LAUGHING

Jenn said...

Way funny. Love it Ambee!

jan said...

Dang, you give a good pick up in the middle of the day.

LindseyWatts said...

ah keith! you can bake me cookies any day of the week.

naptime nostalgia said...

Saw your blog update on facebook, and just had to take a peek. And I am loving your blog Amber dear. You are absolutely hilarious. But of course I already knew this.

Hope you don't mind if I add you to my reader list, and check in on you now and again.