Thursday, September 8, 2011

Who's That Girl? It's Jess!

The most highly anticipated show of the Fall 2011 Season for me has easily been Fox's New Girl which stars Zooey Deschanel as the titular "new girl." Fox has been bombarding me with previews and I was very intrigued from the get go. To be perfectly frank, I adore Zooey Deschanel and when I saw that Deputy Leo from Veronica Mars (Max Greenfield) was on board I said "Yes. Yes I will watch this show and will love it." 
I actually don't think this is the greatest picture...but it's the one from Fox's website.
 Then some crazy things happened in the previews. You see the main cast consists of Zooey, Deputy Leo, another guy, and a second generation Wayans. Each preview ended with the guys sitting on a couch and Zooey being all posey in excitement. Then suddenly the Wayans disappeared and there were only two guys on the couch. Next thing I know there is another new man on the couch along with Deputy Leo and the other guy. The Wayans is no longer in the show. Come to find out, my sec gen Wayans is going to be on another show and has been replaced...but this put little doubts in my heart about this show.
So here I am, anxious for my show. Hoping it will do well. Wishing that eventually Deputy Leo will bring in Logan Echolls to the show some way. 
Then yesterday I notice that iTunes has the first episode for free and available. I say to myself "Oh but all my friends are excited to see it, so I should wait for them." Half an hour later...I must say the show has a lot of potential. It's clear that the writers mean for us to want other guy and Zooey to fall in love...but I will always be hoping for Deputy Leo. Zooey did an excellent job of being great. And the Smeagol line was very good. I think the show had Pilot issues as most Pilots do, and I can't wait to see how they finagle the Wayans exchange in subsequent episodes. I did love the bits of Dirty Dancing in it, and I also love that the theme song is sung by our very own Zooey. It's a catchy one. And has been stuck in my head all day. 
All in all, I'm still excited for the show itself, not a huge fan of the Pilot, but it was mainly exposition and I feel that once we get to the "three guys, a girl, and a theme song" formula that everything will be lighthearted and fun. I think I'm going to like the show a lot. A lot....

3 comments:

ang said...

A Logan Echoll's cameo is a must! Loved your review.

Alison Wonderland said...

Amber, I love you. And I too am prepared to be enchanted by zoey as the new girl. And I love deputy Leo. And Logan Echols.

Megan said...

Awesome review! I too love me some Deputy Leo and Logan! I miss Veronica Mars...