Thursday, April 8, 2010

Things I Learned From Movies

LESSON ONE:
"Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

Everyone knows this line. This is an iconic line. But why? I will tell you why, Patrick Swayze as Johnny Castle and Jennifer Grey as Frances "Baby" Houseman's summer love is everything we wish we had. Their romance is bombarded with what seems like obstacle after obstacle and test after test (which is amazing when you consider the whole movie is supposed to be set over the course of a few weeks). And this moment is the moment when Johnny decides he is good enough and that he was going to fight for Baby. This is the moment he stands up to Dr. Houseman and says in those six simple words what he was intimidated out of saying to him a few scenes earlier on the porch: that Frances nee Baby is an amazing woman who would do anything to help someone, who "looks at the world and thinks it could be better" and that the reason he loves her is because she is somebody who is willing to stand up for what she knows to be just and right "no matter what it costs her." In short this is the reason why I have learned that the only man in the world for me will be a man who can see my strength even when I don't. A man who says "nobody puts Amber in a corner." And if he sings songs about how I'm like the wind, can dance like Johnny Castle, and looks like Patrick Swayze to boot...then "gah gong, gah gong, gah gong" will go my heart and I will be more than willing to "carry a watermelon" any day.

4 comments:

LindseyWatts said...

"carry a watermelon" ??????

For My Little Family said...

I love it! NOBODY puts Amber in a corner. And you will carry more than a watermelon - you might even do more than HOLD HANDS! Hahaha.

Alison Wonderland said...

That's the funny thing about love. You're all head over heels for some guy and he's all head over heels for you and you like that but you don't really understand because well, you're just you after all. It takes another person to see how amazing that is.

Rachel said...

I'm excited for the day your heart is like a jungle drum. "Ga gong ga gong ga gong". I would like to see your face at that moment. I can almost picture it, but I'd like to see it in person.