Friday, April 2, 2010

The Things We Do For Love....

Preface
I am super single. And super looking. How can I be super looking when my social life consists of marathon sessions of Veronica Mars DVDs and reality TV analysis? I'll tell you how. Multi-tasking. And animal magnetism. For example, while I'm at work I have a young man whom I pine after. You all should know him: Keith the Cookie Maker. And even at home I have roughly 8 billion people who come to my home to enjoy shows with me...some of the men-folk who are very appealing. So that is how you have a potential love life while only going to work or staying home.

The other day I decided to go to the sandwich place across the street for lunch and therefore I'd be seeing KtCM. I had not really beautified that morning before going to work so I took my 15 minute break and put on make up and snazzed up my hair. I had to improvise blush by using eyeshadow, but overall I'd say I looked good. And I mean I really tried hard to look good. And this is what happened.

Boss: What can I get ya?
Me: I ordered a sandwich online. The name is Amber.
Boss: Oh yep. Here it is.
KtCM: Just the sandwich for you today?
Me: Ummm...yes. 
KtCM: Okay that will be _____ dollars and ______ cents.
Me: Here you go.
KtCM: Would you like your receipt?
Me: Yes please.
KtCM: Here you go.
Me: Thank you.
KtCM nods.

THE END
For that winning moment I spent my FIFTEEN MINUTE BREAK getting myself all dolled up? For THAT! Honestly it was less than one minute and then I left the sandwich place.
And this is nothing compared to the hours of scheming and plotting that I have spent trying to manipulate situations so that a boy could fall in like with me. Carpooling, seating arrangements, activity choices, inviting girls you don't really like because you don't want to alienate the boy because you don't like his friends and maybe the girl could be your in, hours and hours of learning how to play Halo, cultivating common interests, sending out casual text messages, throwing parties, going hiking, trying to like the outdoors, planning vacations, exercising, giving up cheese for 2 weeks, having your friends in elementary school force a boy to go with you to the roller rink, buying a whole new outfit including shoes to go play laser tag with the boy you had a crush for a year only to have the date take less time then you picking your outfit, waiting your whole life for Johnny Castle and realizing you have started to settle for someone who reminds you of Neil Kellerman, not to mention catching 8 (or so...I've lost count) wedding bouquets and training for a half-marathon. No wonder I haven't been blogging much lately. It's like Gidget says "after hours of concentrated effort I come home as pure as the driven snow." I just don't really have much time for anything else. Ahhhh amore...

3 comments:

Alison Wonderland said...

Amber, you're the most fantastic catch in the world. Those stupid boys don't even deserve you.

For My Little Family said...

Seriously, don't worry about it. Something will happen for you someday. Just keep on keepin' on!

LindseyWatts said...

haha, it's funny what we'll go through just to get someone to like, not even love us. ah well.
p.s. are you still planning a summer trip?