Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Today I Am an Adult

As a child I loved "The Box." For those of you who missed "The Box," it was a TV channel that played music videos (and only music videos) all day, it also allowed you to request songs and it would charge you like a dollar to get your song played. It was my favorite. I remember quite vividly watching things like Aqua's Barbie Girl or Britney Spears' Baby One More Time and Oops I Did It Again. During the Christmas season *N'Sync's Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays would cycle on and I would stop whatever I was doing and plant myself in front of the TV for the duration. It was my golden calf, pretty much. And now whenever I hear a song that was played frequently on "The Box" I see the accompanying music video and think "This is a Box song. Sigh."
However, there were certain songs that would come on and my mom would be very disapproving. Mainly these songs were Eminem songs. I can't remember if Eminem was explicitly banned from our house or if it was simply an unspoken outlawing of his music. Either way, just like MTV, he was not allowed. And just like MTV, he occasionally crept in with the volume turned down very low. I distinctly remember the My Name Is music video because it was such a big deal to watch it. So I have always had a secret Romeo-and-Juliet thing for Eminem music. 
Well today I'm "Cleaning Out My Closet" as it were. I now own all of the Eminem music and I am officially declaring to my mother that I listen to Eminem, because I am an adult. 
PS Don't be disappointed in me, Mom. Also, I will only listen to it with headphones on so it doesn't bother anyone else.

1 comments:

Dr. Leo Marvin said...

m&ms are my favorite. They used to be banned in my house too!